9 Things to Consider When Choosing Post-Graduate Program
July 10, 2015
There are many things that students should consider when they are planning to apply for a post-graduate program.
- Specialty: This should depend entirely on our interest and we should also consider market requirements. After a few years, some fields that are previously developing rapidly could eventually become stagnant.
- Ranking: For many prospective students, ranking of the post-graduate program is essential. This significantly signifies the overall quality of the education program. In this case, we should make sure that we can receive the level of quality that we deserve. Ranking could be assigned by local education organizations based on specific factors.
- Location: Location has a significant factor in determining success of our post-graduate program. In this case, we should consider whether the program is located near our house. It is a bad idea to stay temporarily near a post-graduate program, because this could disrupt our work performance. In most cases, we need to prioritize our primary day job. Another thing that we should ask is whether we prefer a larger or a smaller school? City or country? Rural or urban?
- Cost: Education costs us money and we should calculate all indirect and direct costs, such as cost of living, books, tuition and miscellaneous fees. It is acceptable to choose a program with higher tuition if we have an opportunity to get scholarship, grants and other financial assistance. Often, master and PhD students could get some kind of stipend and funding from various sources.
- Admission Standards: We should choose a post-graduate program that offers clear admission standards. In general, stringer standards for admission could indicate higher quality of the education. We could usually get information on admission requirements from the program’s official website.
- Teaching Personnel: We should be able to narrow down the program that we should choose by determining the most appropriate teaching personal. In this case, teaching quality should coincide with our education requirements. In this case, we should be taught by recognized and respected professors in the field. A good way to determine the quality of the program is determining the number of students. This should also help us to get an insight on the overall reputation.
- Facilities: It is important for us to determine whether the graduation program has the amenities and facilities that we need. We should be able to check the availability of the facilities in the area. It is a good idea to choose post-graduate programs with state of the art facilities.
- Time for Completion: We should be aware that we should choose a post-graduate program with relatively quick time of completion. If we can only spare two years for completing the program, then we shouldn’t choose programs that require three or even four years to complete.
- Career planning: In many cases, our reason to graduate from the school is related to our career growth. In this case, we should find out about the type of professional development programs that we could follow. There should be opportunities for us to network with other professionals.