Important Advantages Of Appearing For The GATE Examination
July 18, 2017
The GATE examination is one of the most important competitive examinations in India and is conducted by the Indian Institute of Technology and Indian Institute of Science. The GATE exam measures the performance of an Engineering student, and the most important purpose of this examination is to get a clear understanding of the familiarity of the student with the different Engineering domains.
If you are an Engineering student, and you are able to clear GATE with a good score, then there will be an ample number of opportunities available for you. There is a common belief that after clearing the GATE examination, you can only apply for teaching jobs. However, this is not at all true. There are many advantages of appearing for the GATE examination and if you are interested to know about those benefits in details, then you can go through the list given below:
- If you are able to clear GATE, with a good score, then you will be able to pursue a PG program in some of the best institutes. The best and the most reputed institutes of India, admit the PG students based on their scores in the GATE examination. There are some institutions that make the qualification in the GATE examination mandatory for getting admitted to the self-financed courses.
- The PSUs in India also have decided to keep the GATE score as the most important shortlisting criteria for applicants.
- Even the Council of Scientific and Industrial research, have introduced the GATE scheme and so, allows only the GATE qualified candidates to pursue a research through PhD programs from the CSIR laboratories.
- For the GATE qualified students, a scholarship of Rs.12400/- per month is given in order to promote Master degree education in India. This is a financial assistance provided to the candidates so that they are able to pursue a master degree program without any financial difficulties.
- There are some colleges that allow you to do a Master’s degree along with the doctoral program after the completion of graduation. You are also entitled to get a stipend of Rs.28000/-. But, you can only do this if you are able to qualify in the GATE examination.
- There are some foreign universities which have kept GATE qualification as the most important criterion for getting admission into the post graduate programs in their Universities.
- In order to do the DRDO research also, you need to qualify in the GATE examination.
The GATE examination is conducted in the online mode only and the entire duration of the examination is for 3 hours. In this time period, you have to answer a total of 100 questions. The entire paper is divided mainly into two sections. The first section is common for all papers. Here, your numerical and verbal ability is tested. The second section consists of the Engineering subjects. There is also negative marking in this examination. So, it is important to be very careful when you answer the questions of the section, which has this negative marking scheme.
The GATE examination scores are very vital in deciding your career, and so, it is important that you score well in this examination. This being a tough competitive exam, you have to take help of a good coaching center to prepare for the GATE exam. Also, if you are planning to appear in GATE 2018, carefully go through the question paper pattern of GATE 2017 and also check online youth forums to understand the major difficulties that students appearing for the paper in 2017 had to face. Answering regular mock tests, solving the previous year’s papers as well as engaging in regular discussion sessions on youth forums will help you stay on top of things and be confident enough to answer the paper.