The Need For Semiconductor Engineering Services In The Semiconductor Industry
February 5, 2018
One of the major advancements in electrical and electronics engineering is semiconductor technology. Some of the world’s largest companies have made their fortune because of being in the semiconductor industry. Everything from an electric toothbrush to a supercomputer runs on semiconductors or semiconductor-based chips. The world is so dependent on semiconductor technology that if there is a shortage of a material like Silicon, the entire world would shut down for at least an year!
There are many companies in the semiconductor industry, but some have shown tremendous growth and others are kind of stagnant. The reason for this growth is because of opting for semiconductor engineering services. These services are provided by companies that deliver excellence in semiconductor engineering. There are various fields in which they help huge semiconductor companies to stay relevant and up to date with the latest engineering advancements.
List of Semiconductor Engineering Services
There are many semiconductor engineering services that are provided to both semiconductor companies and various other electronics companies for various uses. Here are the top services that engineering solutions providers offer:
- Semiconductor IC Design: IC or Integrated Chip is a crucial component of all electronic devices. The digital data that allows an electronic component to function is stored on this particular IC. Devices like laptops have gazillion ICs inside them and each IC is made up of semiconductor materials. The design of these ICs is complicated and companies generally outsource this task to solution providers that have much better expertise in designing semiconductors.
- Test and Product Engineering: Another major part of the semiconductor industry is the testing and product engineering of electronics products. The problem with electronics products is that, they might function perfectly for a while after manufacturing, but might start causing problems later on if semiconductor engineering services don’t test the products properly. That is why test and product engineering services are one of the most important services for companies in the semiconductor industry.
- PCB Design: As ICs are an integral part of electronic devices, PCB is even more important. PCB or Printed Circuit Board is an assembly of semiconductor devices like resistors and conductors that control all the other ICs and functionality of the particular electronic device. As it is an intricate and ornate work, which requires extreme accuracy and precision, it is always advised to take help from these semiconductor solution providers.
- Failure Analysis: Each electronic device is tested rigorously before being sent for distribution, but there is still a percentage of devices that might fail in a particular distribution set. Calculating this percentage depends upon a various factors, which are calculated using failure analysis. If you own a company that deals with any electronics device, it is always advised to do failure analysis or else you might have to incur huge losses. Therefore, you should use a semiconductor engineering services provider to help you out in failure analysis of your devices.
- Systems Design: One of the many semiconductor engineering services is complete systems design. When a company provides you with a complete systems design, they would take care of everything from internals of the hardware to the software part as well. This way, you just need to worry about using that semiconductor-based product in your application. This service is used by companies that want to work on products rather than those that need a part to be used in their bigger product.
There are many other services provided by semiconductor engineering solutions providers, but these are the main few.
Need for Semiconductor Engineering Services
Semiconductor engineering solutions providers have allowed companies like Apple to create smartphones that have been the top selling phones ever since their invention. Here is why they are much needed in today’s market:
- Need for Precision: A company that is just starting in semiconductor consumer electronics might not have enough expertise in designing and developing proper circuits based on semiconductors. With the help of these service providers, simple companies can create high quality products in no time.
- Need for Efficiency: Consumers get bored of trends extremely quickly nowadays, which is why it is important to have a team that can produce and ship products as soon as they are launched. These services help design semiconductor parts of these electronic devices allowing the company to focus on software and manufacturing requirements.
- Need for Cost Effectiveness: Finally, with the rising competition, the prices of electronic devices keep falling. Due to this reason, there is a high requirement for cost effectiveness in the supply chain. Using these services, companies can cut down on costs and give the consumers what they want.
As you can see, these services of semiconductor engineering are highly required in today’s electronics and communication industry. The semiconductor industry still has a long way to go as day to day research keeps on improving the supply chain in these companies and at the center of it all are these solutions providers.